Skip to main content

Book Review - The Loney by Andrew Michael Hurley

The Loney by . 


"It changed with each influx and retreat, and the neap tides would reveal the skeletons of those who thought they could escape its insidious currents. No one ever went near the water. No one apart from us, that is."




The Loney is Andrew Michael Hurley's first novel fiction debut which was the winner of the 2015 costa first novel award and the 2016 British Book Awards Book of the Year. 


"If it had another name, I never knew, but the locals called it the Loney - that strange nowhere between the Wyre and the Lune where Hanny and I went every Easter time with Mummer, Farther, Mr and Mrs Belderboss and Father Wilfred, the parish priest.
It was impossible to truly know the place. It changed with each influx and retreat, and the neap tides would reveal the skeletons of those who thought they could escape its insidious currents. No one ever went near the water. No one apart from us, that is.
I suppose I always knew that what happened there wouldn't stay hidden for ever, no matter how much I wanted it to. No matter how hard I tried to forget . . "


The Loney follows a family travelling to the north of Scotland for a religious pilgrimage as part of their church group accompanied by their churches new priest, narrated by a young alter boy who cares for his mute bother. 

The story and characters were enjoyable and somewhat captivating at times although the character names themselves were a problem as I had to ask my friend to help me distinguish who was who seeing as the brother is named Andrew by everyone but the narrator, who had the nickname for him of Hanney but this is never really touched on but expected to be understood. Also the father to the children is named Farther while the priest is referred to as Father throughout. So there was some confusion at first which wasn't a good start.

The mystery of what happened to the previous priest is a great side story which expands more as the story progresses and I was impressed by that storyline. 

As I got closer to the end of the novel I was waiting, expecting for a big finish or something exciting to happen but when something did come along it was a little disappointing.Maybe I shouldn't have come in with expectations but between my higher hopes and it's less than exciting finish I wasn't blown away with this title.

Overall I think it was a good read and I'm glad I read it, I just think it would have been best to have started it with no preconceived opinions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Graphic Novel Review - The Ghost of Gaudi By El Torres (author), Jesus Alonso (artist)

The Ghost of Gaudi By El Torres (author), Jesus Alonso (artist) Publisher: Magnetic Press  ISBN: 9781942367161  Number of pages: 120  Buy it here Blurb Someone is committing barbarous murders throughout Barcelona, focusing on locations designed by renowned visionary architect Antoni Gaudi. The police have no clues, but a young woman is thrust into the investigation by a man resembling the late Gaudi himself, led to the scenes of the crimes before they even occur... could be a precognizant ghost? A visual tour through the beautiful streets of Barcelona on a true edge-of-your-seat thriller written by El Torres and illustrated by Jesus Alonso, both natives of the city. Winner of several awards in Spain. Review  The Ghost of Gaudi is a brilliant crime mystery which has you questioning who is committing the murders and is Gaudi's ghost coming back from the grave? The art does a incredible job of portraying the incredible architectural work...

Graphic Novel Review - The MERCENARY The Definitive Editions, Vol 1 The Cult of the Sacred Fire by Vicente Segrelles

The MERCENARY The Definitive Editions, Vol 1 The Cult of the Sacred Fire by Vicente Segrelles Series: THE MERCENARY The Definitive Editions (Book 1) Hardcover: 64 pages Publisher: NBM Publishing; 2 edition (November 10, 2017) Language: English ISBN-10: 1681121247 ISBN-13: 978-1681121246 Buy it Here Blurb "In a lost and long forgotten valley high up in the mountains, The Mercenary has been contracted to save a woman from the mysterious and powerful Cult of the Sacred Fire." Review So I went in blind on this not having heard of the mercenary before but unfortunately it just wasn't my style of graphic novel. I found the art tried to fit in female nudity whenever possible which to be honest didn't actually do anything to the story, the characters could have been in snow suits and still the story would be the same so I felt it was just a little over the top.  I also felt there was no introduction to the story or characters so for most of the book I ...

Graphic Novel review - Lighter Than My Shadow by Katie Green

Lighter Than My Shadow By Katie Green Pub Date 03 Oct 2017 ISBN 9781941302415 Lighter than my shadow is an incredible autobiography chronicling the life and struggles Katie faced with body issues and eating disorders throughout her life. This novel is in the top five of any graphic novel I have yet read and after reading a previous publication I have thrust it on many people telling them they need to read it. The story follows Katie throughout her family life, her school life, and also some personal and very unfortunate events all of which have been affected by this disorder. The are works perfectly with the story, describing her condition as a black cloud that hangs over her so as she gets worse the cloud gets darker and larger. My favourite point is as she gets so bad that she blacks out, the cloud grows so large that the page is engulfed so all you can see is black, just as she had. This is a must buy for anyone, you will not regret it!